Amazing Cockroach facts:
- Cockroach can live upto nine days without its head.
- If a Cockroach breaks a leg it can grow a new one.
- A Cockroach can change directions up to 25times in a second.
- Cockroaches can run upto 3Km/hr (0.8 m/s).
Types of Cockroaches:
|Brown Banded Cockroach|
|Smoky Brown Cockroach|
Pests Are Guest ?
Identification and biology:
- Cockroaches are medium to large sized insects in the order Dictyoptera.
- They are oval, flat-bodied, dark colored, with chewing mouth parts, three pairs of legs and
usually two pairs of wings.
- The cockroach is a Dorso-ventrally flattened insect, meaning it looks flatter when viewed from the side compared to its shape when viewed from above.
- The head is orientated in a downward-facing position and from above is largely covered by a prominent pronotum (the dorsal surface of first thoracic segment.justbehind the head). Well developed compound eyes and long thread-like antennae are found on the head. The two pairs of wings are differentiated with the tegmina(forewings) being leathery and serving to protect the fan-shaped hind wings, which are the primary flight wings.
- The wings show mainly longitudinal venation, but are rarely used for flight.
American cockroach (Periplanetaamericana):
- American cockroach (Periplanetaamericana).
- Adults are 34-53mm long, reddish brown in colourand fully winged. Male wings extend beyond the tip of the abdomen, whereas female wings do not.
- There is a pale brown to yellowish band around the edges of the pronotum.
- The German cockroach is a small species of cockroach, typically about 1.1 to 1.6 cm long. In colourit varies from tan to almost black, and it has two dark, roughly parallel, streaks on the pronotum.
- Scientific name: Blattellagermanica.
- Higher classification: Blattella.
Brown-banded cockroach (Supellalongipalpa):
The adult is small (11-15mm in length), light brown in colourand is often mistaken for Blattellagermanica. Females are darker than the males and posses a broader, rounder abdomen. The male wings cover the whole abdomen, whereas female wings do not. In both sexes, the wings have pale markings across the upper third.Nymphs have pale brown bands across the body.
Life cycle of Cockroaches:
American Cockroach Life Cycle. Within three to seven days after mating, American cockroach females produce egg cases known as oothecae. Each oothecacontains approximately 15 embryos. Adult females produce between six and 14 oothecaein one lifetime.
Diseases Spread By Cockroaches
Cockroaches Transfer following Diseases :
- Asthma ,etc.
German cockroaches especially favor the following locations:
- In kitchens, behind and under ovens, sinks and kitchen units
- Around water pipes and radiators, particularly where pipes pass through walls
- Inside cupboards, under tables, behind wall tiles
- In kitchens and catering areas, where they can be found inside plugs and the sockets into which 3-pin plugs fit
- Ventilation and service ducts